Sunday 21 August 2011

Choosing Vancouver Film School

Hey there. I wrote this six or so months ago while I was researching my school. It's still relevant to me, and may be for you, too, if you are looking into a Game Design discipline as a career.


The Art Institute of Vancouver and the Vancouver Film School

Let me start by saying that, by all accounts, you don’t have to go to school to learn game design (much like you don’t have to go to school to learn to be a writer), but for many people the structure, focus, and relationships born of post-secondary education yield results. I believe it is the best path for me to earn broad experience in the field.
Unfortunately for me, short of taking a four-year Bachelor of Computer Science degree (and changing who I am), my local options for game design are limited to experimentation with the editors that are becoming more and more common in games these days. To that end, I looked west to British Columbia and found the Art Institute of Vancouver (Ai).
I should point out that you can find negative reviews of every post-secondary school out there, and the two I looked at most closely are no exception. This makes choosing a school to invest money and time into very difficult. More on that in my conclusions, below.
Ai
At the time of this writing, the Art Institute of Vancouver’s Game Art and Design curriculum covers a full range of game design principles including classes in writing, art, animation, design theory, and a large practical component where student teams create game prototypes. The program costs nearly $40,000 in tuition, and requires about $500 (Can) in books and materials. I was told that tuition will go up sometime soon.
I attended an open house held by Ai in Edmonton, and after expressing interest in the program I was promptly contacted by extremely helpful people from their enrolment and student financial services departments. Ai does an excellent job of selling themselves, and is more attentive than I would have ever expected from a post-secondary institution. The application fee was $150, and I was accepted in about 10 days after providing my college transcripts, fees, and other documentation.
I was set to attend until I discovered some troubling accounts of Ai exaggerating their success records, with specific examples from the Game Art and Design program pressuring their staff to deem a graduate working as a software retail clerk as “successful.” I have higher hopes for my very expensive and time-intensive education, so I started searching around for another institute. I didn’t have to look far before finding the Vancouver Film School (VFS).
VFS
The Game Design program at VFS offers a similar curriculum to the Ai program, but by all accounts it is much more intensive, with 30-hour weeks (in-class), and an expected 15-20+ hours of homework on top of that, which translates into one solid year of schoolwork (rather than the nearly two years for similar certification from Ai). The program has a strong practical component as well, with teams building game prototypes for the last six months of the program to present to industry professionals on scheduled “Industry Night(s)”. The costs are a little under $33,000 for the year, which includes all materials. They accept students 3-4 times a year, 30 students at a time, so competition is strong. As of this writing I am competing for one of the last open spaces in 2011.

UPDATE: I’ve been accepted, so it is officially decision time.

The application fee was $200, and I needed to include two work-relationship/personal references, other documentation, and (most enjoyably) a four-page game idea prĂ©cis. If I want to officially have them hold my seat in the program, I need to provide a “probably non-refundable” 5% deposit of the entire cost, which comes to $1612.
VFS offers a shorter overall program with a similar curriculum for less money. They only have campuses in and around Vancouver (where Ai is spread throughout the United States), and there seems to be a great deal of success coming out of the program, including some notable talent working at (you guessed it) BioWare.
I read a half-dozen reviews, crunched the numbers, asked advice, spoke to advisors, reviewed my goals, and contacted one of the VFS alumni, a game designer named Grayson Scantlebury to ask him a million questions. (Thanks, Gray).
In short, I’m hoping to get in to the Game Design program at VFS for the reasons outlined above and also because my needs and priorities have changed. Both programs claim a 75%+ graduate success rate (with the online reports of unhappy students vehemently contradicting those numbers), but the actual success rate for me is unimportant—I am determined to graduate at the top of my class with a knockout demo reel to ensure I’m in that employed bracket. Later, after 5-8 years of experience in a variety of industry roles, I intend to open my own development house. I expect to have to work hard (and live a bit of a lean lifestyle) to achieve my goals, but I have no doubt it will be worth it. Ya gotta believe.
Here are some conclusions or thoughts I took away from this experience.
  • Time and cost are strong influencers, but trust makes just about anything possible (or not). I see more success coming from VFS and less of an investment in time and money for identical certification. Finally, VFS is an accredited institution with a 20-year history (not including my chosen program, of course, but it’s nice to know that they aren’t new to this).
  • You have to take reviews with a grain of salt—you will always find someone willing to complain about a given institution, and you won’t always find someone who loves it. Your best bet is to do your research and find out which program will drive/allow you to succeed.
  • No education guarantees success, Don’t expect to just graduate and get a job.
  • As with most things, you’ll probably get out what you put into your post secondary education. Attitude matters. Relationships matter. Grades may or may not matter, but being able to demonstrate your talent most assuredly does.
  • Game design is a relatively new discipline, and is hard to define. Game design may not officially be broken up into sub-disciplines of art, level design, audio, story, etc., but game designers tend to specialize, anyway. A good game designer will have a strong grasp on each sub-discipline, too.
  • Game designers are not idea people. They have ideas, but so does everyone else in industry.

6 comments:

  1. I fully agree with your views. Thanks for sharing your points.These are really helpful to all...VANCOUVER TEAM BUILDING

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm...I graded from Ai...your facts are wrong buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having worked for VFS in Game Design, and having known the individual that helped set up the Ai game porgram, who was a VP for EA (Marc Aubenal), who I worked with previously and was a friend, I happen to know a number of things about both schools:
    1) The 75% rate is the stat from their MOST successful class. They have had classes turn into only 40% employment. They choose to give you the highest success and not the true average. Ask them for the success rate of EVERY class and a list of where grads are.
    2) You cannot argue with Princeton Reviews own assessment of the Ai Vancouver and VFS programs. By their own rankings Ai Vancouver has scored in the top 10 of Game schools in North America for the past 5 years. VFS just barely cracked the top 25 for the 1st time THIS year (2014).
    3) Ai Vancouver needs to be judged on its own merits and not against other Ai schools. What is offered in LA is not the same as what is offered in Vancouver- thus Princeton ranks Ai Vancouver as the only Ai school in their top 25.
    4) VFS has open enrollment and will accept anybody and they always have seats open in their game design porgram despite pretending they do not. Their sales people are not regulated, do not have to pass tests, or anything- they can literally say anything they want and they do. From what I know Ai admissions people are heavily regulated because it is the only private arts school in the province. They therefore have to report directly to the Ministry of Education, and two other regulatory bodies. This is a good thing. Additionally, I was told their admissions staff has to take two tests per year to make sure they are not exaggerating or saying anything misleading. VFS sales staff don't have anyone checking them at all from what I could see and from what I actually hear from students after the fact. We ended up getting some very talented students that did great things but I think every school can boast that- conversely we often got students that were not prepared properly when VFS pretended getting in was a major deal- it's not. Some were completely misled.
    5) VFS charges a non-refundable 5% deposit, which according to PCTIA, their accrediting body is illegal. If you make a stink about it they will refund your money if you withdraw BEFORE starting but if you don't know any better they will keep it.
    6) VFS charges for the entire program and so if you cannot continue for any reason at any point you owe a percentage of the entire program. Ai is more like a traditional school apparently, You pay quarter by quarter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I attended VFS for some time and my experience was HIGHLY negative. Is it correct that the "school" is regularly threatened with lawsuits by former students? Is there also any major abuses by management towards staff that you know of?

      Delete
  4. Edit- Ai Vancouver is the only private arts school that is allowed to offer Bachelor Degrees in B.C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing informative blog and sharing your views. We are a student accommodation provider- University Living. We often meet students who are planning to pursue their studies from Vancouver film Institute. I will surely recommend your blog with them. Keep doing good work.

    Thanks & Regards
    Student Accommodation Vancouver

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, thanks for commenting.