Monday 26 September 2011

Super Metroid Lite in Google Sketchup

So, Yesterday (Sunday) I came in to school at around 9:30AM for "five hours" or so, and instead I didn't leave for more like 15. What was holding my attention so completely that I missed the last skytrain out of Chinatown? The creation of my very own Metroid map using Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Google Sketchup.

Most you know of Photoshop, an industry standard software for image manipulation, but you may not have heard of Sketchup, which I think is considered by many to be the "rough draft" of a 3D imaging software. It's free, too (with CS5 being really expensive). Anyway, Photoshop and Sketchup are both brand new to me—more on that later—and Sketchup is notorious for being extremely difficult, so I had a few things working against me in creating a decent level map.

Worst of all, though, was that I was really enjoying the process (except for becoming regularly apoplectic when Sketchup wrecked things up). Long story short, I made an extremely detailed level map that I'm pretty proud of, and I wanted to share it with you. It's hard to make out details in the screenshot, but it's got a chozo, Samus' ship, and Samus all in 3D. Well, kind of. It started out as a 2D pixel grid I made in photoshop.

Anyway, here's hoping for good grades. Now I'm going to learn about Flash.



4 comments:

  1. I plan to sequence break your map. Just because I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the scope is such that I'm certain the map is sequence-unbreakable. Also, I didn't provide the legend, but just since I know you'll take my previous statement as a challenge, you get the morph ball from the chozo in the top right, and the missiles are in the central chamber with the tall, pink space pirates behind the red door)...

    The objects in the water are crawler enemies or energy tanks, depending. The goal is the fire-hydrant shaped data point to the right of the jumping puzzle in the largest (excavation) chamber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the part where Samus becomes domesticated by her male superiors?

    Also this is making me want to design levels...

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, thanks for commenting.